13 August 2017

" ... ... but if you wanna learn how to dance !"

and " ... ... if you wanna be h a p p y, just watch your " ... ... Grandpa Willard and me.

" ... ... just a good ol' boy" = Grandpa Willard !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kl_Ivzs-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iArCHz-MbfQ

" ... ... from this day in time," My Dearest Children, thus:

You are my children, my gifts to the world
You are the lights of my life
You all have your good hearts, you have your own strength
So I know you'll all do all right

As I look to the future from this day in time
The truth is, I don't have a clue
There are modern day wonders I don't understand
So I'll leave that all up to you

But if you wanna learn how to dance
Just watch your mama and me

Just a good ole boy and his lady
Nothing too fancy to see
If you want to be happy
Just watch your mama and me

There are so many changes, changing too fast
Things I know nothing about
But some things remain, just stay the same
And that's where I might help you out

So if you wanna learn how to dance
Just watch your mama and me

Just a good ole boy and his lady


from Our Darlin' Forever Singer of Sad Songs, Mr Waylon Jennings


b u t ... ... 

but this ?  This --- hunger --- has broken my heart
since I was 18.  And truly, then, knew of it ... ... firsthand.

1 in 9 persons inside this whole World live on
LESS than $2.00 per day.  Today.  y2017.  
Inside ALL of this technology and science.

My heart continues beating ... ... but broken. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/living-on-one-dollar-a-day

09 April 2017

Living on one dollar a day



However serious your money problems may be, would you willingly trade them for the challenge of living on just one dollar a day? 

For millions of people, that’s their reality EVERY day. Tony Dokoupil has the pictures to prove it:


Think about this: One out of every nine people on Earth gets by on less than two dollars a day. 

“I want people to go and look at those images and immerse themselves as if that was their reality,” said Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Renée Byer.

“It just begs the question ... ... why.”

Byer has spent years photographing a world we don’t often want to see. Those photographs and the stories they capture are part of a new traveling exhibit, “Living on a Dollar a Day.”

“The most important thing for me was to preserve their dignity in these pictures,” Byer said.

And how does she do that? “Show how hard-working they were, to let their life unfold in front of me, and to document that life.”














rcb-20100829-cookies-004-cbs-promo.jpg
Jestina Koko, 25, with her five-year-old daughter, Satta Quaye, in Monrovia, Liberia. Crippled since the age of three, Jestina survives by doing laundry for others, selling cookies on the street, and begging. Both of them suffer from malaria. She wishes for a wheelchair, a private room to live in and for her daughter to go to school.

She does it by documenting not just their lack of food, clean water and healthcare, but their smiles, too.

“If you were to take that child out of that scene, that’s just like an everyday slice of life -- just running, smiling,” Byer said.

Globally, the poorest of the poor total more than 800 million.  “One of the myths about poverty is that people who are poor are lazy,” she said. “And I have to say that in all of my travels through four continents, that that couldn’t be farther from the truth.”

To get to the truth, Byer took time off from her newspaper job at the Sacramento Bee. She traveled to 10 countries, taking 15,000 photographs.

In Ghana, children in flip-flops sift through the burning fragments of old computers, searching for metal they can sell. “You can see the fire here -- even his eyelashes are singed from the fire, from working so close and digging with his bare hands in this toxic waste,” Byer said.

That’s where she met Fati, age eight, stricken with malaria and crying as she worked.  “I said, ‘What’s the matter? Why is she so sad?’

And they said, ‘That’s because she wants to go home with you.’ It broke my heart.”

The number of people living this way is actually dropping; it’s down more than half since 1990, thanks to foreign aid and new investments in health and education -- and, yes, thanks to some of Byer’s photos, too.



child-photographed-by-renee-byer-244.jpg

All of these children at left are now in school, helped by people inspired by her photographs.

Fati (top right), is now at a boarding school. “She has the most amazing smile,” Byer said. “Her life has completely changed.”

Of course, there are still millions out there who aren’t as lucky, which Byer hopes to change … one photo at a time.
     
GALLERY:
Faces of the world’s extreme poor
     
For more info:


No comments: